One of Australia’s most successful and esteemed breeding operations will be dispersed at the Magic Millions 2015 National Sale from late May.
Leading thoroughbred breeders Bob and Rosemary Scarborough of Wood Nook Farm will present buyers with an outstanding 34 lot draft including members of families they’ve made famous.
With Group One winners including Final Card, Gallica, Gold Ace, Hit the Roof, Leica Guv, Light Fantastic, Marble Halls, Sleek Chassis and Stella Cadente, the Scarborough family established Wood Nook Farm in Nagambie as one of the best producing thoroughbred nurseries in Australasia.
“It is with heavy hearts that we are winding up Wood Nook Farm and dispersing our entire bloodstock portfolio and in due course selling the farm,” Bob Scarborough reported. “Rosemary and I have really enjoyed our time at the races and sales over the years and have been lucky to enjoy so much success.”
“I’m approaching 70 and we have decided that this is the right time to disperse our bloodstock,” Bob added. “The thoroughbred racing and breeding industry has been fantastic to us and we have met most of our close friends through the industry, but it’s time for a complete lifestyle change. We plan to travel and spend more time with our six grandchildren who are growing up too quickly.”
“We won’t be lost to the racing industry as I will continue on as Chairman of the Moonee Valley Racing Club and remain dedicated to its future success and growth and will also remain on the Australian Pattern Committee.”
Included in the Wood Nook Dispersal draft are 18 broodmares, four race fillies or mares and a stunning draft of 12 weanlings.
The outstanding line up of fillies and mares and their respective weanlings includes:
- Cheetah – Group Winner in the US and stakes winner in Europe. The quality mare was served last spring by Zoustar. Her weanling filly catalogued is a daughter of Street Cry.
- Gaudeamus – Group Two winning Distorted Humor mare. Covered in the spring by Vancouver’s sire Medaglia d’Oro. Sale bound weanling is a bay colt by champion Pierro.
- Lectrice – Group winning daughter of Encosta de Lago. Half sister to Group One winners Leica Guv and Light Fantastic. Served by Fastnet Rock. Weanling is a bay colt by Fastnet Rock.
- Ocean Dream – city winning half sister to Group One winner Marble Halls and the dam of Blue Diamond winner Sleek Chassis. Served by Golden Slipper winner Sebring.
- Oh Goodness Me – Curragh Group winner by champion sire Galileo who was served in the spring by super sire Fastnet Rock. Her weanling is a bay filly by Fastnet Rock.
- Rocha – Group Two Wakeful Stakes winning daughter of Encosta de Lago. Daughter of Group One winner Larrocha. Covered by top sire Sebring and has catalogued a weanling colt by Pierro.
- Slapstick – Group winning Anabaa three quarter sister to record breaking Group One winner Virage de Fortune and Group Two winner Avenue. Served by Redoute’s Choice. Her weanling, and second lifetime foal, is a filly by Fastnet Rock.
- Starfish – Stakes performed Redoute’s Choice mare from Group One winner Stella Cadente. Dam of this season’s group performed juvenile Wolf Cry. Served by Denman. Her weanling is a colt by Vancouver’s sire Medaglia d’Oro.
The dozen weanlings set to go under the hammer include colts by Fastnet Rock, Helmet, High Chaparral, Medaglia d’Oro and Pierro and fillies by Fastnet Rock, Helmet, Reset and Street Cry. Wood Nook’s latest crop of weanlings is regarded as the finest group of foals produced for the farm in many years.
The 2015 Magic Millions National Sale will commence with the National Weanling Sale on May 24. For further information please contact the Bloodstock Department of Magic Millions on (07) 5504 1200 or email [email protected].